- Blog | WaterNeeds Water Tanks and Water Pumps Sydney NSW
- How to Maintain Your Water Tank
How to Maintain Your Water Tank
Installing a water tank at your home or property is the first step to enjoying your own fresh rainwater to use for drinking, cooking, washing, watering your garden and more. To maintain the quality of your water supply, there are a few routine maintenance steps to carry out on a regular basis.
First of all, always plan and work in an environment that is safe. Water tank maintenance can be risky. If you’re unsure, always seek professional advice before carrying out your maintenance.
There are several aspects of your rainwater harvesting system that need to be considered when completing maintenance. They include
- Roof and gutters - should be clear of debris and leaf litter, and checked for any cracks or blockages. Consider installing a first flush water diverter that will discard the first flow of rain water that often contains dirt and debris.
- Inlets and screens - Inlet and outlets, valves and overflows should be regularly inspected and any buildup or debris removed to ensure you don’t lose or contaminate your rainwater.
- Water pump - Maintaining regular service work to ensure your pump works effectively for its lifespan. If you require advice regarding your water pump, contact our friendly team for after sales service.
- Water tank - a cleaning schedule to remove any sediment and sludge every few years is recommended to maintain water quality and drinkability if required. A pressurised hose can be used to remove any sludge, and always keep in mind safety precautions that need to be taken when working in a confined space.
Taking the time to maintain your water tank and water supply will be a rewarding experience resulting in your own supply of fresh, potable rainwater for years to come.
If you’re interested in learning more or buying a water tank for your home or property, give the tank experts a call today on (02) 8521 6606, or send us a message and we’ll be in touch.